- being excessively and compulsively concerned about something.
- showing emotional affliction or disquiet.
So without further ado, my list of things I am haunted by:
- I am haunted by my many illnesses.
- I am haunted by my lack of a normal functioning family, lovingly described as the "Family Curse" by my Aunt Sandy.
- I am haunted by "what if's?"
- I am haunted by the idea of past lives and reincarnation.
- I am haunted by my mistakes; not the little, everyday ones but the big, I'm-red-in-the-face, I-can't-believe-I-did-that ones.
- I am haunted by Death. By then, aren't we all...
- I am haunted by the illusion of time. It feels like we all have less then we want and yet we find ways to waste it more than we should!
- I am haunted the hopes, dreams and plans I had when I was younger that have gotten left out and left behind as I have gotten older.
- I am haunted by a critical inner voice.
- I am haunted by perfectionism.
- I am haunted by my choice to focus five years on taking care of my ill and dying parents instead of pursuing my desire to start a family of my own.
- I am haunted by the wreckage of the past, both my personal past and the collective human past.
- I am haunted by health concerns as I get older. For example: Will I get Alzheimer's Disease like my father or colon cancer like my mother? Will I have a heart attack or stroke like my grandparents?
- I am haunted by the desire to live up to this poem:
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty,
To find the best in others,
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.
So what are some of the thing that haunt you? Leave me a comment and let me know.