Today is Dogs Rule® Day and I can't resist writing about it. As the proud pet-mom of a shelter adopted poodle and a rescue adopted terrier mix, in the past two years I have come to love being a dog owner. (Don't tell my cats!) In fact, I am so enamored by my dogs that I wrote a post back in June about how my dogs are my heroes and today would be a great to to read that post again.
I also discovered the official Dogs Rule® Day: An International Holiday for Dogs website sponsored by Pedigree. Pedigree leads the way in promoting pet adoption from animal shelters and donates pet food to local shelters. Sign up for their newsletter and become a fan on Facebook. I found a list of 101 Ways to Celebrate on the website and I am posting my favorite ones here on my blog in two categories: ways you can help dogs at animal shelters and ways I am going to celebrate with my dogs.
Enjoy Dogs Rule® Day and please adopt your next dog from an animal shelter.
WAYS TO CELEBRATE BY HELPING YOUR LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER:
- Adopt a dog! What better way to celebrate than with a new best friend. Find a shelter dog here. (We adopted Brunswick from the WLA Animal Shelter 1/08.)
- Volunteer at a shelter. Learn more at Volunteer Match here.
- Donate a bag of dog food to your local shelter.
- Donate some blankets to your local shelter.
- Organize or support a dog adoption drive.
- Go to a shelter and give the dogs some love and attention.
- Start or support a local spay/neuter program.
- Bring some snacks and treats to your local shelter.
- Adopt a new best friend for your best friend. (Brunswick adopted Theodor 1/09!)
- Go to a shelter. Say hello to every dog.
- Give an extra minute of bellyrubs in the morning.
- Play fetch 'til your arm falls off.
- Give him the other half of your sandwich. Just this once.
- Bark with him at the postman.
- Go to a new dog park this time. (We went to the Santa Monica Airport dog park yesterday.)
- Ask the cat to be nice, just for the day. (Even though the cat won't listen…)
- Keep the car windows open. Even if it's raining.
- Scratch that special place behind his ear.
- Give him one treat every hour, all day long.
- Belly rubs every hour on the hour.
- Write a dog blog about him. (Read my post about my dogs by clicking here.)
- Spend as much time as you can with him.
- Promise that from now on, every day is Dogs Rule® Day.
- Tell everyone you know it's Dogs Rule® Day. (Done!)