Image by *MizzEl*~Elly* via FlickrI just got an email reminder from the vice president of the Alzheimer's Association that TODAY is World Alzheimer's Day. I've included her message below. If you haven't already, today is a great day to contribute to The Gerald E. Keerbs Memorial Fund benefiting the Alzheimer's Assocation. You can read my post about my hero, my Dad, who died on December 22, 2004 from Alzheimer's disease by clicking here.
Today is World Alzheimer's Day and we're working to raise awareness about Alzheimer's disease and rally friends like you around the globe. I know I often write you with updates, offers and requests for funds. Today I am writing you with a very personal challenge.
If you - a person dedicated to our vision of a world without Alzheimer's disease - can help us raise $3,500 today for the 35 million people around the world with Alzheimer's, I will match that entire amount to honor the more than 10 million family caregivers.
Please make your donation today. I also hope you'll consider one of these amounts:
- $5.30 for the 5.3 million Americans with Alzheimer's
- $10 for their 10 million Alzheimer caregivers
- $35 for the 35 million people with Alzheimer's around the world
- $78 for the 78 million US baby boomers who will be impacted by Alzheimer's disease.
- $148 for the $148 billion annual societal cost to our nation
- $428 for the meager $428 million dollars the US government invests in Alzheimer research as compared to $6 billion for cancer, $4 billion for heart disease and $3 billion HIV/AIDS that has resulted in great advances.
With heartfelt thanks,