Friday, March 9, 2012

The First Bump In the Road of My Hep C Treatment

Wow, what a day I had yesterday.

First I was so weak I couldn't feed the cats or make my weekly batch of yogurt.  Then I started having weird abdominal pain.  On top of that, I think I spent more time asleep than awake in the last 24 hours.

All my new symptoms won me a trip to Urgent Care for an exam and blood work.  Which was fine with me since I was due for blood work anyway--my first since starting Hepatitis C treatment 14 days ago.

I go back today and get the results.  Plus I get a chance to mention to the doctor all the things I forgot to mention yesterday because I was so overwhelmed with feeling bad.  At the end of the day, I'm not sure they are going to find anything specifically wrong with me.  My own best guess is that my body is adjusting to treatment, and between the medications taking effect and the virus dying off, my body is just not a very happy camper right now.

Despite all the problems, I still consider myself a lucky girl.  I have my husband Robert, who was so concerned about me he worked from home yesterday so he could keep an eye on me and take me to my doctor's appointment.  He's stepping up and taking care of me and I am so grateful.  It's in these moments that I love him the most.

I am also counting my blessings now that I have completed two weeks of Hepatitis C treatment, even if the treatment is kicking my butt right now.  I've gone into this fight knowing that side effects might decrease my quality of life.  I guess I was just hoping I might have a little more time before I started feeling really crappy...

But I'm not letting this stop me from continuing onward.  Whatever is going on with my body right now is not serious enough for my medical providers to stop treatment, so I am soldiering on because a bump in the road is not the end of the road.  I just need to take a deep breath, dig deep and then figure out a way to grin and bear this. 

So please excuse me if I need the next several days to figure out how to adjust to whatever "new normal" this treatment is imposing upon me.  And don't let my absence worry you.  Rest assured I am in good hands and receiving good care, so there is nothing to worry about, I promise.

Creative Commons License

Like this post? Then please...

Submit it to your favorite social sites.

Share it with PrintFriendly alternatives.

Print Friendly and PDF
Related Posts with Thumbnails


Pam said...

Hi Selena, I was really weak when I went through treatment too. I couldn't even pull myself up into my husbands pickup. He had to push me in. It is awful to feel so dependent but you'll soon forget it after you've cleared the virus, completed treatment, and feel better than you have in years.

I hope you read my comment offering you the Leiber Blog award. Stop by my blog when you're feeling up to it and get your award to paste on your blog. It is for inspirational blog writers and you're one!


Anonymous said...

Selena, So glad you have a good Hubby to lean on during the bad yukky days! Thinking of you! Rest up this weekend.