Image by EssjayNZ via Flickr
I'm coming off a pretty rough three day holiday weekend, spent mostly in bed with the stomach flu. Thankfully, since it was the weekend, my husband was home and able to help me out. Which got my thinking about all the things in my life that are real lifesavers in terms of helping me get through each and every day with chronic illness. Lifesavers like:
- Making sure I have fun each day, which helps me feel happy every day.
- Engaging in pleasant and distracting activities, which helps me get my mind off my chronic pain and chronic fatigue.
- Growing a garden, which encourages me to get out of the house and into nature every day.
- Parenting pets, which makes me feel unconditionally needed, appreciated and loved.
- Focusing on what I can do each day, which makes me feel productive.
- Letting go of unrealistic and unreasonable expectations, which helps me feel better about myself and my circumstances.
- Interacting with my friends and family, which helps me feel connected to community and support.
- Living in the present instead of worrying about the past or future, which helps me enjoy today.